Just When You Thought It Was Over ~ More Slugmaster

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your scatter & slug gun.

Re: Just When You Thought It Was Over ~ More Slugmaster

Postby Ranch Dog » 15 Mar 2019 05

Thanks for the info. I'm very satisfied with the Hammerheads and plan on sticking with them.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Press Choice: Turret

Postby W.R.Buchanan » 15 Mar 2019 11

Yeah, If I can get these to shoot I'll probably cast up 100 more and then sell the mould..

These would be for extreme cases as nobody needs to shoot 690 gr boolits very much.

I've got plenty of other slugs that I can shoot from the Lee to Lyman Sabot to Pumpkin Balls to the STI Hammerheads, Thug Slugs AQ's Etc.. More than enough to keep me busy forever.

Bought this mould as moment of weakness, and I have to say as a machinist that it is nicely made.

Randy
W.R.Buchanan

My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Postby horseman » 15 Mar 2019 11

W.R.Buchanan wrote:Yeah, If I can get these to shoot I'll probably cast up 100 more and then sell the mould..

These would be for extreme cases as nobody needs to shoot 690 gr boolits very much.

I've got plenty of other slugs that I can shoot from the Lee to Lyman Sabot to Pumpkin Balls to the STI Hammerheads, Thug Slugs AQ's Etc.. More than enough to keep me busy forever.

Bought this mould as moment of weakness, and I have to say as a machinist that it is nicely made.

Randy

Ranch Dog has chronicled his experiences pretty darn well in his "pursuit of excellence" pertaining to loading and shooting slugs. I (we) would be interested in your experiences as well. What "discoveries" of success and failures you've found. Would help others a lot in they're journey. Ranch Dog pretty much convinced me that finding anything better than commercially available rounds is almost futile... :D Whadda' ya' say....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

My Press Choice: Single Stage

Postby W.R.Buchanan » 15 Mar 2019 11

There is 3 MOA accuracy and there is "Usable Accuracy."

Mike wants his Marlin 512 to shoot 3 MOA or less consistently for hunting purposes.

My Mossberg 500 Tactical Gun with rifle sights shoots Fed Low Recoil Slugs. (.70 each) into 2-2.5" at 50 yards which is as far as I need it to shoot. For shooting at Front Sight Shotgun Classes this is the way to go as they don't allow any Reloaded ammo there at all, and .70 cents a round is not the end of the world..

It also shoots Pumpkin Balls that I load in my Trap Loads into the same size groups. And if I am going to burn up 20 or so on a Shotguns Stage at a 3 gun shoot in 2 minutes that is a economical way to go that works for that purpose.

It is also fun to play with this stuff which is half the reason we do it in the first place.

I recently acquired a Browning A5 and a Smoothbore Slug Barrel and Hastings Rifled Barrel for the gun as well. I have the STI slugs as well as a bunch of others to start testing to see if I can get Consistent and Acceptable accuracy at 100 yards out of that gun.

The problem with getting super accuracy out of homemade slugs is getting them cast right. These are large diameter boolits, and as such if they have any irregularities in them at all they are out of balance radially and they just won't fly strait.

However that doesn't mean they won't deliver "usable accuracy." I bet I can hit a Black Bear at any distance inside 50 yards every single time with just about any "usable" Slug. Obviously it has to deliver some kind of consistent accuracy but beyond that, even 6" at 50 yards would do the job.

I have the STI Slugs that Mike talks about and they look like they will be a good answer. I live in California (don't hate me, I didn't vote for them!) so I can't hunt with any Lead Projectiles. I can however turn Brass Inserts for the STI Sabots and have a legal round for Hunting Pigs.

Today is the first day I have had due to weather, to get to my Range and shoot my new gun. I have a bunch of ammo I have loaded. The majority of what I have loaded uses my standard Trap Load of AA hulls Win 209 20.5 gr of Green Dot and a Blue Claybuster wad. These are very low pressure rounds and are designed for 3 gun shoots.

I will be shooting Both my M500's,,, and the Browning A5 for the first time.

I will post pics of targets when I get home.

Randy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
W.R.Buchanan

My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Postby AlaskanGuy » 17 Mar 2019 10

Very cool thread!!
Any technology, not understood, can seem like magic....
AlaskanGuy
Founding Member
Founding Member

My Press Choice: Turret

Previous

Return to Shot Shell Reloading