45 colt Sizing die instead of 45 ACP

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
James Hensler
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: 45 colt Sizing die instead of 45 ACP

Post by James Hensler »

Guys I am not talking about a GLOCK Bulge at the bottom of the case
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

The 45 colt die won't do what you're looking to do. It will size the brass to within .001+- as the 45 acp die will. Inside dia of an unsized piece brass will measure about .448. Sized with 45acp die is about .443 (+/- a thou my dies). Did not change within those parameters sizing with 45 colt die, again my dies (RCBS). You could try "neck sizing" as mentioned and give it a try, I've done that with "normal" 45 colt loads and it seemed to work o.k. But I stopped doing that long ago. I never thought about it or tested it, but thinking about it right now (neck sizing only) I wonder if it could increase case capacity a bit and change your load performance. :roll: I would be more concerned with chambering using an auto loader vs revolver though. Just thinking/typing out loud here. I did try to do what you mention using a Lee CFCD for sizing, didn't work, bullet would just fall into the case. I'd say just live with it like the rest of us do. It's just aesthetic.

Just got to thinking, I do have a set of Hornady Cowboy dies that DO resize a bit less than "regular" 45 colt dies. That's what I went to instead of "neck sizing" the 45 colt. I had forgotten that as I haven't reloaded a 45 Colt in several years (I loaded a bunch of them, still shooting those) but they only size a couple thousandths less and I have no idea how they would work with 45acp. Expensive dies, but nice.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

James Hensler wrote:I thought a 45 colt sizes for a .454 diameter
Best to look at the SAAMI spec .450" - .456". (.456" -.006")

If your brass thickness is over .013", in the area of where the bullet base is located, the bulge would be noticeable with the .454" bullet.
(.480-.454)/2=.013"
Michael
James Hensler

Post by James Hensler »

This is what I am talking about
If you use a .452 it should not show or should not show nearly as bad
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

You might do better for sizing with the FCD die to stay with carbide .
I gave up on my Colts ever being straight . I just neck sized for a while . Now I have steel dies and it's much better . I've never had coke bottling on ACP but I've also not really used carbide dies for those . If they can be had try a steel sizer .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Use RP brass, it's thinner. Runs about .010 vs everything else brass at .012. Might help look better to you if it bothers you that much.

One other thing to consider, anytime you "squeeze" a finished round the brass will "spring back" a bit more than the bullet whether cast or jacketed and can change the tension on the bullet. At least that's my opinion. Make a difference or not, quoting Paul Harrell, "you be the judge"... :D
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

James Hensler wrote:This is what I am talking about
If you use a .452 it should not show or should not show nearly as bad
It depends on the thickness of the brass in the area that the base of the bullet occupies.
Michael
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

You could try just using clean, unsized brass for a few rounds to check for function. As I said previously an UNSIZED piece of brass fired from my 45acp measures .448, you cannot push a .451 plated bullet in this case by hand. This should still give .003 of bullet tension which is ball park for bottleneck rifle rounds (for me). Whether or not this is adequate for pistol I have no idea. Load a couple, see if they chamber (I bet they will) shoot and compare to your "regular" loaded rounds for function, accuracy and velocity. I may just try that myself. Personally I would think performance will suffer, but I don't know that unless I try it (or you try it) :D . IF it works adequately I wonder how many times it will before the case will no longer chamber, or any other problems arrive. (?) On second thought I don't think I'll try that.

WATCH VERY CAREFULLY FOR BULLET SET BACK WHEN CHAMBERING a round. I think I would chamber and eject a couple before I fired one, and load "light".

Return to “Handgun Reloading”