Household oven brass drying??

Hand decappers, chamfer/deburr tool, primer pocket tool.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Household oven brass drying??

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

Straightforward question my household oven will go as low as 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that too hot to dry cases after ultrasonic cleaning? . Will it affect the physical properties of a case brass?
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Household oven brass drying??

Post by GasGuzzler »

Mine goes down to 150 but I usually use the old retired from kitchen use toaster oven or the Texas sun.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I can offer up some info based on case annealing and the case drier I have.

When I anneal brass, I use a spent case with Templiaq which is a temperature paint. I put a drop of 750º on the neck and a drop of the 350º on the web. The timing of the case feeder is adjusted to ensure that the 750º melts, you don't anneal necks at temperatures less than that, but while the 350º on the web doesn't. If the 350º paint melts, the cases are tossed as you will experience a case separation on the web.

The case drier has temperature settings of 90º through 160º, the material that came with it recommends 145º.

What might be different with an oven is that there is no air circulation. The case drier uses forced air.
Michael
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Thanks I saw a guy on YouTube drying his at 200 degrees not sure if that's okay but that's what he's doing. . I ran a small batch a 45 ACP this morning and ride at 170 for 45 minutes and I have a small batch a 357 Magnum in play ultrasonic now.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

Well, RD explained it better than I've even considered. ;) I just toss my wet brass in a towel for perhaps a minute and spread it out in front of a small fan. No water spots and no worry about temperature, but I ain't picky...
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

After doing some research I found the following information that seems credible.
You have to get to about 250°C to start stress relieving brass. That works out to 482°F. The main trick is not letting anything you put in your oven get that hot; not even briefly. Most ovens overshoot and undershoot the control temperature setting some, especially for the first heater on/off cycle. Plus, most don't have a setting that is exactly accurate. So, stick a thermometer in the oven and make sure it never goes anywhere near 482°F. That sounds impossible for a setting in the 200°F range, but I've seen at least one toaster oven that was nearly that far off.

So, preheat, as suggested, to get past that first control cycle. If you stack two cookie sheets and put the brass on the top one, that usually leaves a thin air gap between them that will protect the brass from direct heat coming off the heating element, be it electric or gas. Pizza stones or other masses work to average the temperature and prevent direct exposure, though you don't want lead from primer residue getting on surfaces you'll cook food on. This is best done with cookie sheets or a pizza stone dedicated to brass drying.

Based on the information above I now have an dedicated cookie sheet for brass drawing that was a fairly expensive cookie sheet to begin with. Lolololol . Good thing the only female in my house it is my 80 lb black mouth cur and she doesn't care as long as there's food in her Bowl what I do

On edit. . I did not use a chemical cleaner I use distilled water Dawn and lemi shine. . I did not detect a foul odor in the oven afterwards
Last edited by Shooterrick2020 on 25 Apr 2020 10:59, edited 2 times in total.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Based on the information above I now have a dedicated cookie sheet that's fairly expensive to dry brass on. Lolololol
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ranch Dog wrote:What might be different with an oven is that there is no air circulation. The case drier uses forced air.
You can get a countertop toaster oven with a convection setting fairly cheaply.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

GasGuzzler wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:What might be different with an oven is that there is no air circulation. The case drier uses forced air.
You can get a countertop toaster oven with a convection setting fairly cheaply.

That's something to consider possibly just a dehydrator I have a small kitchen so whatever I buy I would have to be able to store away easily maybe my countertop spaces Limited.

On edit it just struck me I have a ninja foodi that replaced a large air fryer which is basically a convection oven. . I'm going to have to see what it's lower setting is. . I don't use it since the ninja foodi does air frying also so we could become a dedicated dryer if I can set the temperature low enough
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter

Okay I checked out the stats on my old Air fryer that I had retired and it has a warming function but has a temp default of 155 Fahrenheit. . Since air fryers are basically just countertop convection ovens I think this is going to work and I can repurpose it for drying brass. Warming times can be set from one minute two up to 4 hours.

Return to “All Other Tools”