Lee Pro Auto Disk

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee Pro Auto Disk

Post by Macd »

I see the volume calculation as a guide to my first setup for a new powder. I then do several weight tests and adjust accordingly. I record the PPM setting or disk selection along with the other load data. Once I get used to a powder I can pretty well get close by guess but weight is always checked for every load for rifle (I always trickle-up) and for the first, fifth and then every tenth load for handgun. If I was shooting higher volume for rifle, such as .223, in that circumstance, I would probably use the same checking used for handgun loads.

I know I am telling most what they already know and probably better than me but I always remind myself that people new to reloading read these posts. Those of who have been loading for awhile have learned what works and what doesn't and what is safe and what isn't. The best advice for newbies is to get a good reloading manual and follow the steps and cautions outlined there. Over time you will develop your own preferred practices based on experience, further reading and your own proclivities.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman wrote:RD, following your example, I just did a thirteen charge sample of Silhouette powder (Lee chart says vmd is .0796) using a 5cc dipper (only one I have) in my powder scale and came up with the average charge weight. Doing the math as prescribed I came up with a vmd of .07568. (My dipper "precision" probably had something to do with that and I would do it a couple times before using that number) So to further my understanding, I would then use this vmd number times actual charge weight (grains) wanted to find the correct fixed cavity (volume) for that amount. Dropping by volume vs weight. ??
VMD X Charge Weight = the Cubic Centimeters of the charge.

Given the fixed CC of the cavities, the math to deliver a cavity specific charge is:
CC of Cavity / VMD = Grains.
horseman wrote:Also, if this is a "preferred" or maybe "better" method of charging cases then why does Lee advise weighing charges at or near max..?
My guess the warning concerning cavities dropping max charges is that, unless you have determined the specific VMD of your powder, the actual charge dropped might be over the max. If you know the VMD of your powder, you know exactly what weight will be delivered at the drop. Your lot of Silhouette is 5% denser than the spec.

You can do all kinds of things with a known VMD. Here is what would be delivered with your lot of powder and the Lee dippers and disks.
silhouette@0757.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

To address the OP concerns about the disc hole sizes, I don't know if you still can but,
you used to able to get blank disc that came with set screws. You could then drill your
own holes. The set screws were to be installed to slightly adjust the charge. ?????????
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
rp2pilot
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by rp2pilot »

The Lee Adjustable Charge bar works well for me, after modding the cavity with some JB Weld Epoxy Clay. Pretty easy fix for it, and it is infinitely adjustable.
larryw

Post by larryw »

Haven't done anything to my adjustable or Pro AD except flatten a couple places out
courtesy of Horsemans instruction. With the few powders I've ran through it
my adjustable bar & Pro AutoDisc are now an accurate, repeatable setup.
That is, as long as I remember which way to turn the knob when adjusting
charge ????????? Not A Word Horseman !!! Not one !!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

larryw wrote:Haven't done anything to my adjustable or Pro AD except flatten a couple places out
courtesy of Horsemans instruction. With the few powders I've ran through it
my adjustable bar & Pro AutoDisc are now an accurate, repeatable setup.
That is, as long as I remember which way to turn the knob when adjusting
charge ????????? Not A Word Horseman !!! Not one !!!

Ummph phtttto mumbo...... face mask....:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”