Suggested prices?

The little red box that started it all!
nitro-express
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Suggested prices?

Post by nitro-express »

Ranch Dog wrote:Kits that are still in production would be worth something less than the current retail of a new kit. You can check what kits of a specific caliber have sold for on eBay by using the "Advanced" search and selecting "Completed" auctions/sales.

Overall, I would say that the prices have gotten soft for a lot of the kits. Collectors drove the prices, not actual reloaders, and many don't have the money they once did.

Probably the most valuable kit right now is the 12 Gauge 3" if it is the small kit $55 to $65 depending on how the condition compares with the similar kits listed. If it is the complete kit, in the long box, about $15 more.

Kits with near-obsolete cartridges, like the 6mm Rem, are not selling well at all. About $20 to $25. One very nice kit only sold for $15.

These amounts are about ¾ of what they were selling for eighteen months ago.
I think you nailed it, I just paid $35 each for a 20 ga 2 3/4" Deluxe, same in 16 ga and a set of tools for 10 ga, no shot dipper, a few weeks ago. Any more and I'd have walked away. I also paid $20 for a set of tools for 444 Marlin, no box, no load chart, and missing the capper rod. In retrospect, walking away may have been a smarter option.

I've sold a few sets over the years, for some of the odd and discontinued sets you can charge a bit more, if there is some demand. I have a 458 Win Mag set that will probably never sell, so I've started robbing parts from it. Same with a 220 Swift set and and a 300 Weatherby set. So glad none of those were a big investment.

Neat tools, but truthfully every time I use a set, I ask myself, why, there are better options.

IMO, the 410 set is the grail, not too hard to sell a 410 set. I think I have a wad guide, was with a 12 ga set I bought.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

nitro-express wrote:IMO, the 410 set is the grail, not too hard to sell a 410 set. I think I have a wad guide, was with a 12 ga set I bought.
Yep, cheaper to buy a MEC 600 Jr for a 410!
Michael
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I had a .338 Norma kit I bet is pretty rare. Got it in a lot of about eight odd-balls. Sold them all.

Someone say 3" .410? Here's mine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Ummm....

I might have to say goodbye to my .410 3" Lee loader. Looks like I can sell it for $250 or more right now.

Then sell a few boxes of bulk .22LR and have enough to buy a new .45 Colt lever action rifle or a project car to work on.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Jeff H »

There is a site just for these and I can't remember where. Some of the more obscure ones are more expensive than the more popular ones, but I don't remember prices being very much.

LEE, when in stock, sells them for about $41:
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-357-mag.html

Someone has listed one on Amazon (357) for $128!:

I'm guessing this one comes with a hammer and a guy to operate it,.... maybe?

I'd pay $30 for ones that I could actually use, put them in an ammo can and hope like heck I never have to use it. Did 30-30 and 20 gauge this way for a time and it gets old quick.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

You can "make" a shot shell reloader out of a couple wooden blocks, a couple punches and a wooden dowel to set the wad and one to crimp. (Best to use once fired hulls) All you need is a drill and a couple drill bits and a short piece of pipe 12 gauge size. I have made those items that will load 12 gauge. Takes about 30 minutes if you have the material at hand. Still have them, although I do use a hand operated roll crimper with them, but it isn't necessary. The shells may not look the "best" but they will shoot just fine.

My "bug out bag" is my 4x4 pickup.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

Jeff H, this one?? Lee Loader data

Return to “Lee Loader®”