Classic Lee Loader die conversions

The little red box that started it all!
snaginn
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Classic Lee Loader die conversions

Post by snaginn »

I have a couple of these sets that have been converted to a non-standard caliber, i.e. 6.5/06 from a 6.5x55 and a 338/06 from a 30/06. Both have worked perfectly and metal hardness is not an issue.
Now, I have a battered single die in 300 H&H and I wonder if it could not be converted to a 7.62x53R Finnish which would solve the bullet diameter problem with the Lee Loader 7.62 Russian set. Has anyone heard of such a conversion or would anyone like to comment on its feasibility?
I am attaching a couple of files from the C.I.P website: https://bobp.cip-bobp.org/en/tdcc_public
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lufbery

Re: Classic Lee Loader die conversions

Post by Lufbery »

I hope someone has an answer. I've been wondering if a 9mm (9x19) die can be converted to 9mm Makarov, and who can do the work.
snaginn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by snaginn »

I am sure such a conversion can be done by anyone with a lathe. In this instance by shortening the die and boring it out to the required dimensions. You would need to have the decapping chamber bored out as well and you might need to shim it to make up for the difference in cartridge length. A wider bullet seater might also be required.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

This sounds interesting.
Upon further thought, I don't believe that you would have to shorten the die body at all.
nitro-express
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by nitro-express »

LEE Loaders for pistol and rifle are of a modular design, and there is a bit of flexibility. This aided production and a few of the pieces were used in multiple calibers.

The rifle sizing and seating tool is made of 3 main parts. The lower body is marked with the caliber. It is caliber specific and the length is important. The hardened neck sizing piece is threaded into the lower body. LEE uses thread locker on the threads. To remove it the thread locker will need to be heated. I use a heat gun for this.

Once removed the treads can be cleaned of all traces of thread locker.

What does this do for you? Well simply put, you could transfer one neck sizer into a different body fairly easily.

The third or top is for seating, I've never looked into how generic or caliber specific this piece is.

This is where my experience leaves off. I've only removed one sizer from the body, part of a 310 die proof of concept experiment. But I see no reason that you couldn't swap a sizer from a 30-30 die into a 7.62x54R die body. The nice thing is that it is a completely non-destructive experiment.

At one time LEE listed a part number for every piece of every die or kit. They now only list the pieces they warranty. This used to make repurposing parts pretty easy. Now you're on your own.

Return to “Lee Loader®”