pro1000 - turret press comparison

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

pro1000 - turret press comparison

Post by Fyodor »

Hello, all,

I will place an order at FS reloading this month, but before I do I have a small question for the guys who already own the above presses.

The pro1000 is based on the 3-hole turret press, and has some disadvantages in spent primer handling compared to the classic cast turret press.

I saw a mod, where a pro1000 top half has been put on a classic turret lower half. Only the ram needed to be turned down to accept the pro1000 carrier.

Now I thought I might do the same. But buying two complete presses to disassemble them would be quite expensive.

So my question is: Does someone have both, the pro1000 and a 3-hole turret press, and can tell me what parts are different? Is it only the ram and the corrugated pillar plus the additional carrier on the pro1000?

If so, I might buy a classic turret and just the replacement parts for the 3-hole setup and the carrier.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: pro1000 - turret press comparison

Post by 62chevy »

I don't have the Lee Pro 1000 but do have the Classic Turret with 4 hole wishing it had 5. Lee used to sell a 3 hole turret press but stopped this year and now they sell an upgrade kit for the 3 hole turret to 4 hole. If you need more than 200 rounds an hour you may want to go with the Lee Load Master that has a ton of after market mods you can do to it plus all the mods that Lee sells. The money you sent on the two presses you could have a Load Master with all the bells and whistles. Just my 2 cents and you should take it with a grain of salt but do have to wonder why.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I don't have much space, so I'll have to put up the press on my computer desk every time to reload. The LoadMaster is just too big for my confined storage space. And I'll only load .38spl for CAS, so it doesn't need to be too fancy.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Fyodor wrote:Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I don't have much space, so I'll have to put up the press on my computer desk every time to reload. The LoadMaster is just too big for my confined storage space. And I'll only load .38spl for CAS, so it doesn't need to be too fancy.
Yes, I understand your restrictions now. You desk would need to be solid, possibly attached to a wall as the Load Master does pass it's movement on to what it is attached to.

Thinking about that requirement, I would favor the Classic Turret Press. Of course this is my opinion. Believe it or not, with all your comments ready to reload and the Auto-Index installed, it isn't that much slower than the Load Master. I'm running three Load Masters and the only thing that I dislike is when there is a hick up of some type, the smart and safe thing to do is check every case at every station as you cure the issue. With the turret there is only one case to worry about at any given time.
Michael
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I've run both the 1000 and the LM and both had a serious learning curve but are excellent presses once I learned the adjustments, feel and sounds of the process. My sons and a S-N-L now have them as I rarely shoot more than 250-300 rounds a week so the progressives were over kill. I also like the control of a single stage and the turrets.

RD is right on about the SOLID MOUNTING for the progressive.

Here a cut-n-paste from Lee that's really very honest and accurate.
" There is no reason you can't start with a progressive press, but unless you go through over 250 rounds per week, a progressive press is not really necessary. The Turret press is both less expensive and easier to set up, and (once set up) will reload up to 250 rounds an hour in experienced hands. Setting up a progressive press requires patience and attention to detail.
Turret Presses offer single station simplicity and near progressive speed. No need to unscrew dies and on most models the turret advances to the next station automatically. Four pulls of the lever and you have completed a round. Perfect for moderate production of Handgun ammunition. When equipped with an Auto-Disk powder measure you can load 250 rounds an hour. Deactivate the Auto index feature and you can batch reload the longest rifle cartridges. Twist and exchange the turret, snap in a new shell holder and you're ready to load your next caliber.
"
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

@ daboone:
Thanks for your input. I just did some calculation and found, that the classic turret would be a nice press for me, too, but it's far more expensive than the pro1000. For the classic turret you would need, in addition to the press, a die set and a pro auto disk with riser. In total that's quite a bit more than the pro1000 that brings all these features, plus a case feeder, and is even faster.

With setting up the pro1000 I'm in a very comfortable situation: I got a friend who owns and operates 14 (!) of these, he'll help me in the beginning.

Regarding the desk I'm going to use, it's a sturdy design, and I already prepared it to be affixed to the wall with two large bolts. That should be enough. In case it isn't, I'll just order the LEE reloading stand. Manuel from wiederlader.tv (maybe you know his videos from youtube, they're actually quite good, and he does an English version of each, too) reviewed it and found it was a good design. I would prefer the table, of course, because of my narrow flat.

Return to “Progressive”