Double Auto DIsk and fine Sperical powders

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Double Auto DIsk and fine Sperical powders

Post by BrianT »

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with the Double Disk Auto Disk, and a fine powder?
I'm trying to load some .44 Magnum 200gr hard cast coated with Ramshot Enforcer.
I only have one of the Auto Drum powder measures, and 6 drums. I've tried all the drums, tried washing and lapping the drums, but other than making the drums smoother, and the housing nice and shiny, the powder still leaks out both sides of the powder measure, like a sieve. I thought I had one drum that wasn't leaking, but after a few throws, it also started raining powder.
If the Auto Drums ever come back in stock, I'll pick up a couple more as this must just be one of them that doesn't like the fine powders. I like it with CFE223, Titegroup, and 2400.
Anyway, I have the double disk for the Auto disk, and am going to give it a try, before I change back to 2400 or Titegroup. I'm just trying to use up this Enforcer...

Thanks
Brian
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Double Auto DIsk and fine Sperical powders

Post by BrianT »

Spherical
I guess I answered my own question, was just getting frustrated trying to make the drums work.
Both the double disk and single disk, I'm only using 22.8 grains, worked much better.
Way less leakage, and very consistent.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

Your experience mirrors mine. I've "only" had two AD's and I had very poor luck with them both. I still have one that actually did pretty darn well with Herco powder but not well with others I use. I also use Enforcer and it leaked. Also with Silhouette, AA7, etc; any fine powder. I don't trust it at all. I'm getting ready to ship it off to a pal who wants it. Conversely, I still have a Pro Disk that I worked over several years back and it continues to throw consistent charges without leaking any powder I've put through it. I also use the adjustable charge bar with it and have zero issues with it either. Some have great luck with the Auto Drum and sing it's praises but It don't work for me.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Get the knob from Titan so you can tighten it properly. Mine leaked at first but I kept using it. It's fine now. I bought a second I was so impressed. I had three AutoDisk Pros at one time and I cannot fathom going back to that thing.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
sonic306090
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sonic306090 »

I just bought a Lee Auto Drum a couple of weeks ago from Titan Reloading. I also bought the 3d Printed baffle that works with it from Titan. The Auto Drum is pretty darn accurate! Love it. Titan Reloading is a very Quick Shipper!
Thank you for any advice!
Mark 9mm
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

I agree, with the powders I used up until this very fine powder, it worked well, and yes,Titan has been outstanding, but I haven't been lucky enough to find another Auto Drum in stock. I did get the wrench, but am doubtful it will change anything. I was already able to tighten it so it wouldn't cycle, and then loosen it until it did. But, I will try the wrench, and try another Auto Drum, before giving up on this combination.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”