Six-Pack Pro First 100

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Bill Moore
My Press Choice: Progressive

Six-Pack Pro First 100

Post by Bill Moore »

I got my press installed, I have a 3/8" plate across the bench to stabillize the press, I rotated it, and drilled the holes, (of course different from the LoadMaster!) The problem was the plate is hard and I didn't have the services of the machine shop that used to be across the street! I spent some time sharpening bits!
Pretty effortless, still need to get used to the machines rhythm, but I liked it. The extra station before the bullet seating allows room to set the bullet, I really don't see buying a bullet feeder, but they do look cool! I mostly load cast/lubed bullets except for my granddaughters gun with the polygonal barrel, she will clean it, but someone generally has to mention that it's been a while!
When I bought the loadMaster, I asked Lee to recommend spares I might need, and they sent a handful of the expendables, I asked for a list for this to buy, and they directed me to the part numbers on the manual. Guess I'll buy a few things that look like I might need, the springs for sure, maybe the clutch indexer and index rod, maybe the caliber adapter ring?
(Please ignore the messy bench, I was anxious to try it out!)
6PP 1 RS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bill Moore on 30 Jan 2024 18:37, edited 3 times in total.
Tim Stapp

Re: Six-Pack Pro First 100

Post by Tim Stapp »

Just curious, what spare parts did Lee Precision recommend for the LoadMaster? Since it's now "Legacy," I'd like to lay up a few spares of the expendables.

BTW, congratulations on the new press. I may have to pick one up for the son in law and grandson's AR-15. I'm working on getting the grand daughter into shooting center fire ammo. Long term, far less costly than rimfire. I went through that with her mother.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Tim, the early primer feeders were really finicky, I always kept a couple of the large and small assy's as spares, (I think I still have a couple in the store room!) I kept large and small sliders, upper feeder troughs, the case actuated inserter, and punch return springs. Since they have come out with the latest, (red and black), priming assy's, they've never failed! I did have to replace the case inserter a month or so ago, they do wear out! I keep the shell plate rotating rods, and the plastic toggles, but rarely need them.
Here is my box of LoadMaster spares.
https://photos.fife.usercontent.google. ... authuser=0
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Well, I did another hundred, and figured out i don't care for the "jar" powder hopper! Tried to remove it to refill, and smacked the case collator and sent cases everywhere, (things are a little close together!) I figured out I could change the bottom connector from my Perfect? measure, and it fits, so I can just take the top off and refill! I need to get another for that one now.
Also found the primer feeder doesn't shake enough to keep the trough filled, seems I saw a video that a guy added a sleeve to the pin to make it thicker. He claimed in the video that the new units were shipping with a larger pin, maybe mine's not so new?
6PP 3 RS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bill Moore on 31 Jan 2024 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

About 500 rounds now!
I cut some insulation from a 16 ga wire and pushed it over the primer shaker pin, seems to help. I lubed the case feeder slider with silicone spray like I did on my LoadMaster but it still sticks sometimes. The primer slider sometimes sticks, gonna try the silicone spray there also, the problem may be that the springs are also lifting when it is returning the sliders.
I picked up some brass after the shoot Sunday, cleaned it and gonna take it over to Richard to roll size for me, I had asked him to get me some bullets next time he ordered, so I'll get some Christmas presents ready! His supplier is casting a new tapered 9mm bullet I thought I'd try, Richard says it weighs 127 gr. They will be coated, so I don't have to fool with cleaning after I load like I do for myself.
6PP 4 RS.jpg
Last edited by Bill Moore on 31 Jan 2024 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My APP slider would stick. I put some graphite powder intended for lock tumblers on it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

When I had a loadmaster press (have had several over the years) I would run a bit of STP on the underside of the case feeder ramp (in the instructions) and never had problems with anything sticking. I've also read the early model primer sliders on the 6000 would/could raise in the middle as primers were fed causing issues. Also read that Lee has come out with a new slider that eliminated that issue. Hope you get this figured out and working well.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

Thank you, horseman, I too used STP on the case inserter bar on my LoadMaster, but over the years it dripped down on the tray holder, and ended up soaking the bench there! I am a little leary about any oil around primers, or the case bottoms! I do think I'll try graphite on the primer slider as GasGuzzler suggests next time I load.
Another peeve, there are NO GREASE FITTINGS like the LoadMaster, I kept that press lubed with Mobile 1 grease every thousand rounds or so, worked great! Lee says to dribble STP on the pivot points on the 6PP, and the ram, (yeah it already dripped off onto the floor!) I may disassemble, and install fittings in the body, and the pivot bolts!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

I never used enough STP for it to drip anywhere even over a period of time :D . However I did use different types of lubes also, don't know that I ever used dry graphite though. I keep a small can of it on my bench (when I had a reloading bench) for lubing the inside neck of bottle neck rifle cases. As to the grease fitting, I never liked nor used it on my LM's as I didn't like using grease on the ram and really didn't feel like it would "cover" the ram area very well. I bought a couple used LM's over the years that the previous owner HAD used it like that and both times I disassembled the press and cleaned all the grease off of it. Maybe they had used to much but they were both pretty grodie.... much rather use a light machine oil on the ram occasionally, just run a bit around the top of the ram and cycle the press clean and repeat. Ranch Dog and some others like to use petroleum jelly for press lube. I tried that also and it works well but seemed (to me) to build up a bit more than I like (just like the grease fitting did). But whatever works for everybody is good.
Bill Moore

Post by Bill Moore »

The problem is on the 6PP, the moving parts that need lubing are not accessible, I put a few drops of lube where the levers pivot in the hope that some will get onto the shaft itself where the lube is needed. Unfortunately, it rolls down the levers.
Looks like the upper pivots in the body itself, so there need to be a way to get lube there. The lower pivots on the inner links, (the outer move with the rod), a needle grease fitting on either side with a hole for lube to those links should work! The ram already shows some marks, need to get lube in the middle of the body, maybe 2 places?
The Mobile 1 is a synthetic lube, and doesn't attract dirt, I also use it on the grease points on my Garrand.

Return to “Progressive”