Triple disk setup

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Triple disk setup

Post by joec »

I had a problem a while back using the Lee Pro Disk system getting enough powder for my 45-70 even with the double disk system. I would either get too much or not enough so in the past I had used the double disk to help dial in closer to what I wanted I figure why not add a 3rd disk. Well RD worked it out in his program for me and I set it up. It worked well too however due to the powder type mostly used being stick I finally went to the Perfect Powder Measure which handles stick powders better than the Lee Pro Disk system. At any rate below are some pictures of the triple disk setup. All it takes besides the disks is an extra set of spacers and some longer screws. You need to grind one set of the lock lugs off of one set of spacers which even a hot knife will do. I used a dremel but even a file and sandpaper will work.

Here is a close up picture of it setup
IMG_0557_sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Triple disk setup

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another good option for large capacity drop like Joe describes is Gun Guide's Perfect Adapter for the Perfect Powder Measure. I believe Joe is the one that mentioned it and I bought one. Fits right on the end of a Powder through expander die, actually it slips into the funnel adapter that screw into the Powder Through Expander die.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Another good option for large capacity drop like Joe describes is Gun Guide's Perfect Adapter for the Perfect Powder Measure. I believe Joe is the one that mentioned it and I bought one. Fits right on the end of a Powder through expander die, actually it slips into the funnel adapter that screw into the Powder Through Expander die.
Yes Michael and that is what I finally did myself. I have found the Lee Perfect powder measure handles stick powder much better than the Lee disks do. The only caliber I use it for is the 45-70 as every thing else either uses ball or flake powders with the disks doing a good job. One other side of the double or even triple disk is you can often find a 2 disk or 3 disk combo that gets also the exact amount of powder you might need. This is where Michael VMD Calculator comes in handy as it does the math for you quicker than doing it on a regular calculator.
Joe
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I've thought about trying exactly that for almost a year now. I kept thinking it would be an interesting way to really be able to dial in the volume of powder you want.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I've thought about trying exactly that for almost a year now. I kept thinking it would be an interesting way to really be able to dial in the volume of powder you want.
It really comes down to the powder type as it is no better with the stick powders as a double or single disk. Hence I went to the Lee Perfect Powder Measure for those. It does allow you to dialing powders such as trailboss and ball powders though a bit better than the double stack.
Joe
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Anything that adds to your list of available options is always a good thing. I had a hard time trying to dial in the load I wanted for .223 with the double disk kit and maybe being able to use three with smaller cavities stocks up would have been easier. No telling. I bet when I want to start loading .30-06 I will give it a try.
bwell
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by bwell »

Good idea, I'll have to give this a shot.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”