hot day at the range

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

hot day at the range

Post by Steve »

Went pistol shooting this morning. I don't know what the temperature reached at the range, but it was like standing in a oven when I quit at about noon.

Haven't been able to shoot much because of a couple trips to the hospital. It really shows in my shooting. But I sure enjoyed shooting my little Kel-Tec 380. Then I shot the crap out of my M&P compact. Could actually see some of the accuracy coming back when I had to quit because of the heat.

My daughter was going to join in, but she couldn't make it today,,, nuts. I like shooting pistols with her.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hot day at the range

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hear you about the heat. It is pressing 100° early here everyday and it hangs in there until near sunset. I haven't been shooting like I normally do and I'm going to need to just man up and get out there. Actually, I'm out there doing ranch work so when I'm done with that stuff I really don't want anymore of the heat. Ought to shoot first!
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ranch Dog wrote:I hear you about the heat. It is pressing 100° early here everyday and it hangs in there until near sunset. I haven't been shooting like I normally do and I'm going to need to just man up and get out there. Actually, I'm out there doing ranch work so when I'm done with that stuff I really don't want anymore of the heat. Ought to shoot first!
August is usually very hot and humid in my area. Feels like the humidity is getting set in now so I am going to start getting up early to practice.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I noticed the outside of the windows were starting to show moisture on them at 8:15 pm. I put a humidity meter where I can see it from the dining room window. At 8:50 pm the humidity was 93%, temperature had droped to 84, winds are calm. I'm glad I had the airconditioning serviced over a month ago.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:I hear you about the heat. It is pressing 100° early here everyday and it hangs in there until near sunset. I haven't been shooting like I normally do and I'm going to need to just man up and get out there. Actually, I'm out there doing ranch work so when I'm done with that stuff I really don't want anymore of the heat. Ought to shoot first!

wow .... 100° early in the day already? :lol:

By this time of July we do normally average mid to upper 90's, but last week was amazing. I know for sure three of the work days never got above 82°, and one day was 68° at 3 p.m. But we are way up in the North East (NE Texas that is). Summer of 2011 is certainly burned into my brain though ..... several August days in a row topping 110-113° (instead of our normal 95-100) with humidity of 12-15% (normal for summer heat 60-70%) ... remember the extremely bad fire season. Sure enjoyed last week though .... like early November in mid summer.

I played hookey yesterday and spent the entire afternoon at the range. Hot, yes .... a lot nicer at the range than humping survey equipment through the boonies though.

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by scotland »

I don't know... up here in the mountains I don't mind surveying. Tough call.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

The wife and I went to the range early the other day to beat the heat and it worked too. By the time we left at noon it was over 90.
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

After a 169 day vacation(lay off) I was recalled just in time for 2 weeks of 101-105 . Which Isn't too bad her w the humidity running up to 14% at dawn and falling off to 7% shortly after. Actually it probably would have more comfortable 10 dergees hotter or cooler because theres just something about 101-110 that I don't like. Personal thing I guess. The last 90 something day at the range I had resulted in a 22-250 in a Mark X action overheating an blowing primer in both factory loads and some very conservitive handloads . 31g of 3031 w/55gr sp sticks in my mind . By the book it was about a 3400fps load as I recall 9th round over 7-8 min loose primer in the action .

Be carefull I guess. the heat can do cruel things to otherwise nice safe loads.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
larryw
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

113 here in Ariz yesterday, another warm one today & calling for
117 tomorrow. No range time for me in the near future :( :(
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Steve

Post by Steve »

RBHarter wrote:After a 169 day vacation(lay off) I was recalled just in time for 2 weeks of 101-105 . Which Isn't too bad her w the humidity running up to 14% at dawn and falling off to 7% shortly after. Actually it probably would have more comfortable 10 dergees hotter or cooler because theres just something about 101-110 that I don't like. Personal thing I guess. The last 90 something day at the range I had resulted in a 22-250 in a Mark X action overheating an blowing primer in both factory loads and some very conservitive handloads . 31g of 3031 w/55gr sp sticks in my mind . By the book it was about a 3400fps load as I recall 9th round over 7-8 min loose primer in the action .

Be carefull I guess. the heat can do cruel things to otherwise nice safe loads.
Being a RC airplane modeler and electrical guy, I have been planning a small battery powered fan to force air through the bore between groups at the range, or prarie dog villages. I figure a good airflow through the bore should cool them off pretty fast without hurting anything.

Maybe a tube with the fan dropped over the muzle to force air over and through the barrel.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”