YOUR Cartridge

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: YOUR Cartridge

Post by mikld »

All time favorite cartridge for me is the .44 Magnum. I have 5 guns chambered for it and it's an extremely versatile round. I have reloaded it with 125 gr. balls for shooting mice, all the way up to 265 gr. T-Rex Killers. Several different powders available for extra light to full magnum loads. One of my favorite loads is about 8 gr. of Trail Boss for mu 20" Puma...
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:I would have to say the 45 Colt also though I love the whole gambit of 45 Calibers including 45 acp, 454 Casull and 45-70.
Really, me too! That would cover personal defense and all the hunting I do. In fact, I'm having a hard time keeping up with bullet casting for my TLC454-290-RF in that I'm shooting it in my Marlin 1894S, Rossi 92 in 45 Colt & 454 Casull, and my Taurus 450. I went out yesterday evening to load some ammo for the R92 and pulled the bullet bin and there was not enough bullets left to do the work. Must cast another 10# worth, third time this year! Better make it 20# worth!
Or put a quick order in to Carolina Bullets where I get them. :D I'm down to about 150 left from the first 500 I purchased. I'm now messing with them in the 454 Raging bull along with several other jacketed and cast bullets. I wished you had made a 405 gr up for the 45-70 as I just don't get into the under 405 gr in that rifle.

Oh and that reminds me how is the mold order coming for the 454 Casull 330 gr group buy?
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote: wished you had made a 405 gr up for the 45-70 as I just don't get into the under 405 gr in that rifle.
Too many 405-grain offering. My favorite for the 45-70 is my 425-grain bullet but I guess CC did not buy a mold of that design.
joec wrote: Oh and that reminds me how is the mold order coming for the 454 Casull 330 gr group buy?
I won't hear a word about it until mid to late September.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote: wished you had made a 405 gr up for the 45-70 as I just don't get into the under 405 gr in that rifle.
Too many 405-grain offering. My favorite for the 45-70 is my 425-grain bullet but I guess CC did not buy a mold of that design.
joec wrote: Oh and that reminds me how is the mold order coming for the 454 Casull 330 gr group buy?
I won't hear a word about it until mid to late September.
Nope CC didn't buy them at least he doesn't offer them if he did. I went with the Tombstone in both the 430gr and 535 gr to try in my 45-70. I've yet to try them at any distance as most of my shooting is at an indoor range which is limited to 25 yards max. I am looking into a range about an hour from me that is out door and has up to 500 yards max. It is also fairly cheap in that membership is $30 a year and you have a key to get in to shoot when you like.

I wasn't sure about the 330 but now that you mention it you did say late September.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

joec wrote:I wasn't sure about the 330 but now that you mention it you did say late September.
I'm going to get it up and running real quick once it arrives as I want it ready for nilgai hunting.
Michael
Rooster59

Post by Rooster59 »

Floats my boat? My boat's been floating since 1873. 45-70 Gov't

What would I pick if I "had" to live with one? The 30-30, hands down.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
dagger dog

Post by dagger dog »

22 Hornet hands down, not even a second thought.

Load it to the max and with a 30 gr HP, its a 3000 fps ground hog smart bomb, stuff a 225415 FPGC 55 gr on top of 8 grs of Unique, and you don't even need a suppressor. Accurate enough to shoot a ragged one hole 5 shot group @ 100 yards. Shoot for a month on a pound of powder.

Spot your own shots through the scope, rifle is light even with a bull barrel, might not kill a white tail DRT but it will put venison pot roast on the table in a pinch if you have good stalking and shooting skills.

And last but not least, I think a 22 Hornet round looks so cool setting next to a 45-70, Mutt 'n' Jeff !!
IMG_1916.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

I've got a hankerin for a hornet. Sooner or later I'll find one...or one will find me.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
pricedo
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by pricedo »

454 Casull in my Tru-Oil slicked Amadeo Rossi M92/454 carbine with the Klein leather stock cover. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBERS (NRA & GOA)
dagger dog

Post by dagger dog »

357cyrus wrote:I've got a hankerin for a hornet. Sooner or later I'll find one...or one will find me.

You need to check out the walking varmint series by Savage, they are sweet and accurate, I would have one if I didn't already own a Model 40.

I really got the hots for a CZ or Ruger target heavy barrel !

Return to “Topic Bucket”