Loadmaster Shell Plate Thumb Nut

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Loadmaster Shell Plate Thumb Nut

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I've grown tired of having to re-torque the thumb nut that holds the shell pate down after it backs out so I went out and bought an assortment of washers and nuts to try and find something that stays put. So far what works best is a locking nut with the nylon insert and a nylon washer under it. I haven't used it long enough to know if it works long term but so far so good. I tried combinations of rubber washers, lock washers and flat washers but this works best.

For me this doesn't have to be a thumb nut. I usually leave one caliber on there for a while so spending an extra 15 seconds to wrench it off makes no difference to me. I spend way more time than that constantly messing with it as it backs out every so often. A new rubber O ring didn't help.

If this doesn't work long term I also bought some low profile jam nuts and will use one to hold down the other one similar to how the case collator base fastens to the carrier.

Last edited by 6Gears1Speed on 20 Jan 2015 00:28, edited 1 time in total.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: Loadmaster Shell Plate Thumb Nut

Post by Fyodor »

The self locking nut (nylon insert) should not come loose by its own. The nylon washer reduces friction, so this should be a very reliable setup!

Oh, and thanks for the picture! In the current www culture a large, well lit picture with the correct parts in crisp focus is not common! Thanks!
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I took this picture with my Samsung Galaxy S4 "phone". The damned thing takes better shots than my Canon digital camera!
Steve

Post by Steve »

That is a good picture. My daughter uses a smart phone that really takes good pictures too. I don't even use all the functions on my flip phone.

After reading this post I went to my press, tried wiggling the shell plate back and forth, it has very little movement but is not tight. The thumb nut is tight. I have 2 Loadmasters with a total of 6 shell plates. All fit the way I just described.

When I got the first Loadmaster I had the problem with the nut working loose like you have. I had 3 shell plates at that time. The nut came loose when using 1 of them. My conclusion was there is a difference in shell plate thickness.

What I did to cure the problem was to plane down the thickness on the offending shell plate. To do this I used a diamond knife sharpening stone to lap the shell plate down.

I had to do that to 2 of my 6 shell plates. I have had a total of 4 carriers on the presses, detected no difference in tightness with the different carriers.

So once again, shell plate not tight, case ejector and shell plate nut tight.

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”