The Awesome Classic Turret!!!

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

The Awesome Classic Turret!!!

Post by Maximumbob54 »

This press has grown to be the press I most often recommend to someone starting out. It’s too easy to start out with the indexing rod removed and run it like a single stage or manual turret. I think I’m up to three people so far now that I’ve convinced to buy this press and despite having bought a full bells and whistles Hornady LNL AP I’m still in love with my little Classic Turret.

This is a pair of videos I made a while back showing how I load .223 on the Classic Turret. I’ve already processed the brass. FL sized, trimmed, cleaned so all I have to so it grab one and roll through the press. This is just to show a nice leisurely pace on this press. If you pick up an empty case as the crimp is being done then you can pick up the finished case, drop it in the bin, and set the fresh into the shell holder. Speed on this press is all about how coordinated you are, how good of a rhythm you can get into, and how easy to grab everything is in your setup. I really like this press for its ease of use, low cost, and it's middle of the road on speed vs. complication. No, it will never be the fastest, but it will cost a heck of a lot less than any progressive press and be easier to run by far.

These aren't instructional videos but rather just show that nice easy pace and how little effort it takes to run the prcessed cases through to being complete. I load with Win 748 with flows from the Double Disk equiped Pro Auto like water from a faucet and have verified time and again that it's always spot on but I admit I don't show checking for volume in these videos. I'm setting a very light crimp with the FCD as I like how it presses in the case mouth giving a no drag smooth edge for nothing to hang up. The bullets are bulk 55gr FMJBT.

My first video:
[youtube][/youtube]

And the second:
[youtube][/youtube]
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: The Awesome Classic Turret!!!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice Bob. I took the liberty of editing your topic to and your videos directly into your posts with the "youtube quick code" in the post editor view.

All you do is copy and paste the short link from YouTube into your post (the link is found in YouTube by clicking "Share", "Share This Video"), highlight the link once you have pasted it in the editor, and then click on the youtube button. Works like a champ!
Michael
Pb2au

Post by Pb2au »

+1 on the classic turret.
I have great success with mine. I love the fact that I can,
1) swap out the turrets. I have three callibers set up, so change over is a snap.
2) Switch from turret mode to single stage mode.
Fullthrottle
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Fullthrottle »

Ok I am sold! I have been eyeballing the 4 hole turret for some time now, but watching your short vids are really pushing me to get one.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Fullthrottle wrote:Ok I am sold! I have been eyeballing the 4 hole turret for some time now, but watching your short vids are really pushing me to get one.
I started with a pair of Lee Pro 1000 (Progressive) presses and though it worked for me it took some tinkering every couple of hundred bullets. I had originally wanted the LCT 4 hole but got a super deal on the pair of used presses as well as other items. Well I sold them and picked up the LCT and Lee Classic Cast new added the Safety prime system to both (one system comes with mounts for both presses) and have never looked back. I am loading 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 45-70 now with setup turrets for each with powder measures. It probably takes me 1 to 3 minutes to change turret, setup powder measure and primers if size required on the LCT. I also use it without the index rod with 45-70 as I prefer working in batches with them due to the fact I use the Perfect Powder Measure on the die, in place of the Lee Pro measures.
Joe
dagger dog

Post by dagger dog »

I like the way the primer arm drops onto the base of the press with that double click, you can set your cadence with it, it helps me get into the rhythm !!!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

dagger dog wrote:I like the way the primer arm drops onto the base of the press with that double click, you can set your cadence with it, it helps me get into the rhythm !!!
You will also like the fact spent primers fall into a tube that can be dumped real easy. It is the same system as on the single stage Lee Classic Cast presses also. I also use the Lee Safety Prime system on both the Turret and LCC single stage.
Joe
dagger dog

Post by dagger dog »

You will also like the fact spent primers fall into a tube that can be dumped real easy. It is the same system as on the single stage Lee Classic Cast presses also. I also use the Lee Safety Prime system on both the Turret and LCC single stage.[/quote]

Yeah, the tube holds a bunch, it took me a little while to set up the Safety Prime arm on the turret, but once that was set it works perfectly. I like the fact you can use it with out the auto index.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Nice movies Bob. I have recomended clasic cast turret to more than a few people. If you spend a few hours loading how many rounds do you make? pistol and rifle. Just some more info I can give them.

Thanks
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 357cyrus »

You're much better @ starting 223 bullets in the case than I am. My sausage fingers tend to drop 7/10 on the floor, which has got to be great for bullet concentricity.
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***

Return to “Turret”