Lee 9mm powder through expanding die and auto Drum

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Lee 9mm powder through expanding die and auto Drum

Post by farmerjim »

I just got my auto auto drum and used it on my classic turret to load 1k 223 using Varget. It worked great.
Yesterday, I started setting up the turret to load a bunch of 9mm with a 125 grain rnfp. On trying to adjust the case flair I find that the return spring on the auto drum is so strong that no matter how I adjust the die it severally over flares the case mouth. Am I doing something wrong ? It worked fine with the auto disk, but I thing the auto drum will give more consistent charges.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Lee 9mm powder through expanding die and auto Drum

Post by daboone »

First it appears you've been lurking here for awhile but just jumped it so I'd like to say welcome.

I'm not sure why the over belling is occurring but here is how I would approach the problem. I'd remove all the powder from the Auto Drum. Then remove the auto drum from the die. Then remove the powder thru expander die.
Take the expander die apart and clean it. Then replace it on the on the turret with the funnel adapter replaced on it. Then adjust the die to get the amount of bell you want and remove the funnel adapter. Before replacing the Auto Drum PM on the powder thru expander die remove the plastic drum and inspect the inner working to assure there is nothing fouling its gears and it operation. Then reassemble and set it up and see it the problem is resolved.

If that doesn't fix it someone else here will surely know what's going on and give you the correct answer!
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I thought you just back out the die body from the press until it's just right? For your situation at leas. When I set mine up I just quarter turn the body into the press until it's just right. I have ruined a case and all it takes is that one quarter turn too many.
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I have tried adjusting the die, and the drum gears and body are clean. I will try to set it with the funnel adapter on and switch to the auto drum. If that does not work I will cut it down to where it will not bell the case at all. I have a Lyman M die that I can put in front of the charging die to bell the case.
Thanks for the replies.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

farmerjim wrote:. If that does not work I will cut it down to where it will not bell the case at all. I have a Lyman M die that I can put in front of the charging die to bell the case.
Thanks for the replies.
Don't give up yet! ;) Let some others reply. This Auto drum is still new. I have loaded at least 300 9mmL with mine and the lee die set and it worked perfectly, however it was on a progressive press not a turret. Don't hesitate to call Lee. They will offer you suggestions, ideas and help solve the problem. However I like and use several M-dies but only for rifle any more. NOE also has several expander die inserts that are compatible with Lee's powders thru expander dies and certainly are GREAT for cast lead bullets.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

There may (unfortunately) be something to this. I just broke out my 9mm turret and tried to the point of frustration to adjust the Auto Drum with the expansion. It's like it goes from not quite, not quite, almost there, to just ruined a case. The best I could adjust it was the bullet can just barely start and you would have to hold it upright as you seat it. It's like there isn't any room for adjusting any further. I don't know if the limitation is in the expander stem's length or some other part. I also tried it with one of the NOE inserts and it was just as bad. I had to break everything back apart and start at zero with only the funnel top screwed in place and made sure the case would expand normally to regain sanity.

No way did Lee release this thing without loading one of THE most commonly loaded pistol calibers. There has to be something that the two of us are both missing.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

This is making me too crazy. I just emailed Lee and will copy their reply.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Think I finally have it. Sort of. There is just zero adjustment. I go from that almost there point and you just turn the die body down a hair at a time. So it does work but it's a complete pain and if you don't like it then tough that's all you get.

I started with just the die in the press. Adjust until the bullet begins to seat. Set the lock ring tight and I do mean tight. Swap the funnel top for the Auto Drum. I always use the riser so that's already installed. Very gently screw the Auto Drum in place while watching the die body. If the die body moves then just start over.

This is the only way I can get it to work. This is with the factory insert. I didn't try yet with the NOE insert yet. I have a huge headache and I'm going to bed early.

Remind me how this hobby is fun and rewarding again???
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter

Post by farmerjim »

I had it working for a short time this afternoon. I will take the other dies out so that I can lock down everything tight without bumping something. With luck I can get it. I also found that if you pull the handle down too fast it will also over flair the case. I like the auto drum, It works great with stick powders in rifle cases. It does not leak flake powders like the auto disk does. But this is giving me a headache too.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I feel like this confirms what I found:

Copied and pasted from my email:

Hello Robert,

I have a Lee Classic Cast Press in my office. I installed a 9mm powder trough expanding die to contact with the shell holder in my press. I then mounted an auto disk riser and auto drum powder measure in the die and made sure everything was tight. As a start position I backed the powder die away from the shell holder one full turn and ran a sized case into the powder die. The powder measure cycled fully but the case was not flared sufficiently. I adjusted the die 1/4 turn closer to the shell holder and tried again. Almost enough flare but once again the powder measure cycled fully. I adjusted 1/4 turn more and got barely enough flare on the case to allow a .355" Hornady bullet to start. Adjusting the die 1/8 turn more towards the shell holder gave me sufficient flare for the bullet to just sit squarely on the case mouth. To put it another way I found that I got sufficient flare on the case when the powder die was adjusted 1/4 to 1/2 turn away from firm contact with the shell holder.Remember that wWhen you adjust the die and test for flare remember to depress the disconnect button of the powder measure between each test case.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Peter
Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

He's saying that he was able to get just enough case mouth flare to seat a .355" jacketed bullet. Which if that's all you can get tells me that if you want to use a .358" lead bullet then you have a super narrow window to operate and it better be locked down with a wrench.

I don't say this to disparage Lee at all but if this is the case with this then I will use it but not use it for everything like I was hoping. This info needs to be out there so that others don't just say it's crap.

But I will admit I'm disappointed.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”