by Maximumbob54 » 02 Aug 2013 11
The good, the bad, and the ugly... Just not in that order...
Ugly first:
The Colt barrel looked like a sewer pipe after shooting the lighter coating of the HF powder coat.
The M&P 54c got the heavier HF powder coat.
The M&P 40c got the PBTP with a thin coat.
The good is that everything seemed to perform. My poor shooting skills demand that at some point I buy a shooting rest for true accuracy testing so I didn't take pics of the targets. As usual I did my best with the Colt and the two M&P's were at best a fist size group. All testing was done at the seven yard range because I can't shoot the M&P's well enough for grouping at the twenty five yard range and the fifteen yard range is still closed for upgrades. Everything fed from the mags, the guns all ran fine, and there were no troubles.
The bad...
I wanted to clean with the most generic cleaner possible and not use anything fancy or abnormal. My choice was Hoppes #9 as most people have it on their bench already or it's carried in just about every gun store I've ever seen and most sporting goods sections have it in stock. I swabbed the bores with a big of rag and allowed it to set for about half an hour. I made a sammich and ate it so I guess about half an hour of goofing off sammich making and eating.
Colt
45c
40c
From some reviews I've read about this I've heard of some that had bores that seemed cleaner than before. Mine looked terrible after shooting and I think I may need to bronze brush them to get them spotless again.
Summary...
I am not declaring this a fail. The next batch of cast bullets will have more coatings applied but thinner each time. The HF is the hardest to work with but it does work. It's the hardest to apply in a thin layer only because the epoxy based powder is the hardest to break down in the thinner. It seems to want to clump and not apply even. The PBTP being polyester breaks down in the thinner with ease and applies very even. The .40SW bullets had two very thin coats and I really should have loaded some of the bullets that the second coat went on a bit thick and I wanted to know first if this was going to work at all. My only negative is that while leading didn't happen, the coating seemed to leave a residue behind. I don't think anyone else has mentioned this. The residue caused no loss of accuracy nor did it cause any failure to feed or other problems. If nothing else I feel like the PBTP powder is far and beyond the winner of the two. I have two more PBTP powders to try and may try them this weekend but I need to cast more boolits!!!